Friday, December 12, 2008

Two roads. One choice.

Every once and a while I start to wonder if I am making the right decision. I constantly battle between Music education and Music performance. Honestly, it doesn't really matter what "major" I declare because I can always continue the other at a later time. But I suppose this is the real question: What do I want to do after Luther College? Should I go to grad school or go into teaching right away? I know that I want to teach, at least at some point in my life. It is something I have always wanted to do. However, I also would like to achieve my dream of being a well-known singer/performer. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, since many people have double majors or minors. But these two do not go together extremely well.
Basically, I am given to different roads and it seems I need to choose. I know it's still a few years away but it is worth the thought. They are complete opposites in the professional world and cannot have them both at the same time. As much as I DO want to do them both, it just doesn't work that way.
Then there are my other hopes and dreams; one being having a family. I want to have a family more than a job. I can't see myself in this world without having my own children and husband. I know I can do this with both roads, but one has more benefits and encourages family life more than the other. But I guess that can also depend on what I choose to do.
It just seems so dificult. Do I follow the life-long dream that may be unreachable or the dream that is right in my reach? After all, we are told to dream big. But how far am I willing to go?

No comments: