Saturday, December 13, 2008

What about those other subjects?

Standardized tests are extremely controversial in the education world. Some people think they are great because they can show us how our students are doing in these subjects and also how are teachers are doing. It can show the rate of improvement of our students each year. Although these are great, I don't think the standardized tests are worth it in the long run. If students aren't doing as well as society would like, schools will be forced to teach to the tests. Although, our society would benefit, I don't think it would be the beneficial for our students.

As a future Music Educator, they don't really apply to what I would be teaching or what my students would be learning. If all students only focused on science, math, reading and writing, everyone would be the same. Without music, the arts, sports, languages, etc., our kids would not get the chance to be well-rounded and be creative. Yes, I know you can be creative in science projects and by writing stories, but not the way you can with music and arts.

So why don't we test on music, arts or other languages? Aren't they just as important? I know that those subjects tested are important but I think we can find a better way to combine these subjects with those like music.

No comments: