Sunday, December 14, 2008

We Can Make a Difference

After watching Mr. Holland's Opus and Music of the Heart I began to remember how much of an impact teachers have on their students' lives. Both Mr. Holland and Roberta had troubles at the begining. He was a composer who used teaching as a fallback, and she was a divorced, navy wife, violinist who had only taught her kids to play the violin. She wanted to be a famous violinist but one of her professors told her not to and she decided to fall back on teaching.

Amazingly enough, these two real life people turned out to be outstanding teachers. It may have taken them a while to get to their greatness as teachers but they were. It was great how they both made something interesting by relating what their students know to what they are learning. They made their students love what they taught because both teachers had passion for their music.

I also had a teacher who impacted my life just as much as they did for their students. He had so much passion that I loved listening to him talk and watching how he would teach and get us involved in our learning. He teaches becuase he loves it- which is an amazing thing.

As a future teacher, I hope to impact my students in the way that my teacher had and the way that these amazing teachers did.

No comments: